You Can Pay For Your Visa With Mastercard

I leave the country in 18 days. Holy crap. That's less days than years that I'm alive. I'm absolutely unprepared. For the past couple weeks, I've been telling myself that today is the day that I'm going to start cleaning and packing and all that, but in reality, I just end up watching all of the DVR'd episodes of Breaking Bad completely out of order while thinking about cleaning my room or packing. I usually drink a lot of coffee too and call my dog names while this is going on. I guess that's one advantage of being a part-time employed college graduate for now.

Back to more related things, I was up in Los Angeles for three days last week to apply for my visa and visit a friend. I'd heard plenty of horror stories about visa trips, but I'd also heard from some of my friends that as long as you go and have all of your papers in order, you'll be fine. I'd have to say that I was somewhere in the middle.

I got to the French consulate at 8:45, although my appointment wasn't until 9:15. The office itself is this little room around the back of the main office building, and they let me in right away when I went in, and then had another five minutes or so of waiting around before someone was free to help me. All of my paperwork seemed to be going fine, until my proof of student status. UCSD doesn't mail out diplomas until September, so I brought in a copy of my high school diploma, which I'd heard works fine. However, it turns out that if you don't have a college diploma with you, they want a copy of your college transcript, which I didn't have on me. I was worried that I'd have to come back up to LA or express mail it up, but they said that an emailed copy was fine so I was able to go back and just send them a PDF of my academic history from my school. It should be here sometime late this week or early next week, so until then, I'm just playing a waiting game on that.

I've also realized that it's really coming up on my last chances to do some of my favorite things in San Diego/America in general. I only have 18 days to eat good burritos. I only have 18 days to drink as much beer from Ballast Point Brewing as possible. For those of you who don't know, they make a chocolate-cherry-vanilla porter.That's like freaking Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia but with beer in it too. I only have 18 days left of sitting around at 1 in the morning at my friend's house and eating cookie dough while looking up Jay Z Illuminati conspiracy videos. 18 days left to try and schedule a haircut before I go.

I keep going through phases of thinking "oh my gosh, I'm actually going back to Paris" and just kind of having this weird disbelief that I'm actually doing it and thinking that it will all come much later (I mean, after a year of waiting to go back, these 18 days should fly by, but things haven't been going as fast as I would have hoped). But maybe after I get home from work today and actually start going through my room (hah!) things will feel different.

My commentary on the title: First off, I hate stupid style rules that say you capitalize certain small words and don't do it for others. To be stylistically correct, it might actually be something like "You can pay for Your Visa With Mastercard" or You can Pay for Your Visa With Mastercard" or any other weird combination of capitalized and noncapitalized three letter words. Hell, spellcheck is telling me that Mastercard is actually MasterCard, but spellcheck is also telling me that spellcheck is not a word, so do I look like I care? Also, I actually paid for my visa with a Visa but I liked the visa/Mastercard thing better.

No comments:

Post a Comment