Four More Months! (hopefully)

I have about a million things that I should be doing right now- working on an essay, writing a mini travel guide for my friend who is doing a summer program in Paris this July that is almost identical to the one I did last year, preparing for my midterms and essays due next week- but instead I just want to write more about Paris. Big surprise there, right?

Yesterday, I had a Skype interview with the French side of the au pair agency that I'm going through, and it went surprisingly well (not that I thought I'd fail, but given that I've had very little practice speaking outside of a classroom setting, I underestimated my abilities a bit). Hopefully things will get going on being placed with a family, and in four months, I can be back. But until then, I'm stuck here eating subpar croissants and listening to Joe Dassin's Les Champs Élysées on repeat and other not very French things.

But anyway, in the past few weeks, a lot of people have been noticing my keys for some reason. I don't know why, but they have. And every time they see my keychains, they ask me if I got my Eiffel Tower keychain over summer, which I guess is a logical question to ask. I didn't though.

Five years ago- I can't believe it was that long- my French teacher had to go to Paris for a weekend to make some arrangements for the class trip to France (sadly, I couldn't go) and when she got back, she had all these little Eiffel Tower keychains for everyone. I'd just gotten my car and happened to need a keychain, so I put it on my car keys and kind of forgot about it for the next five years.

This is where I'm going to act all philosophical and stuff, but I just think it's really interesting that I've held on to that keychain for so long. It's lasted through three cars, five residences, and lost two legs along the way, yet for the longest time it meant nothing to me, but it's been there all along. Maybe it's some sort of sign or something that I was meant to go there and just didn't realize, or maybe it's just the fact that paying attention to my keychains is somewhere at the very bottom of my list of important things to do in life. I don't know.

This is a picture of my keychain.

No comments:

Post a Comment